The One Planet Council is an independent voluntary body set up in 2013 to support One Planet Development in Wales and beyond.
We provide a bridge between applicants and local planning authorities, providing guidance and tools to support those making the transition to this more sustainable way of life.
Our activities include policy research and recommendations, advice and advocacy. We work with a range of stakeholders from those living on OPDs to policy makers and planners.
Broadly representative, the One Planet Council comprises people from different walks of life, including specialists with knowledge and experience in related areas of planning, building, farming, land-management, climate science, self-employment, economics and well-being.
One Planet Council aims are:
- To enable a broad range of exemplar One Planet Development projects
throughout Wales, comprised of people from all walks of life.
- To see these sites serve as an inspiration to the people of Wales and beyond.
Without any grant support or public funding the One Planet Council has made considerable progress since forming in 2013:
- Organised and delivered expert led OPD Training to local authority and independent planning
officers, other professionals, and potential applicants.
- Published a series of Position Statements to clarify policy and practical recommendations.
Created and organise an Annual Open Week for members of the public to visit and take a tour
of participating OPDs.
- Created and launched an OPD Produce Label to help practitioners with marketing produce and
- Created the website: www.oneplanetcouncil.org.uk and also a well moderated Facebook page
with over 10,000 members.
- Run regular Open Meetings for the general public in different parts of Wales.
- Provided ad-hoc advice on numerous aspects of OPD living for potential applicants, and other
interested members of the pubic.
- Researched and published the report: Review of One Planet Development in Wales 2010-2021.
The Review makes clear the contributions of One Planet Development in terms of :
Tackling the climate and biodiversity crises. Achieving “Net Zero” carbon. Revitalising rural and Welsh-language communities. Prioritising the well-being of future generations. International leadership on sustainability.
The Welsh Government has committed itself to a more sustainable Wales for current and future generations. One Planet Developments make a useful contribution to this aim.