The One Planet Council has created a simple briefing sheet that outlines how One Planet Development is supported by the Well-Being of Future Generations Act – and vice versa.
It sets out the benefits of One Planet Developments in the Welsh legislative context.
It summarises the planning policy and identifies – in the goals of the Well-Being Of Future Generations Act and other relevant Welsh legislation – the aims of public bodies that may be assisted by supporting One Planet Developments.
It finishes by presenting some conclusions and recommendations.
The chief recommendations are:
- One Planet Developments should be supported and encouraged as part of a process to help satisfy the long term aims of the WBFGA & Environment Act.
- Training should be offered in One Planet Development skills and techniques. Current training does not make landworkers sufficiently aware of the benefits of such practice.
- More demonstration farms and smallholdings are required, particularly those practising One Planet Development, where such practices can be witnessed.
- The principle of One Planet Development should be extended to urban and peri-urban areas, and pilot projects should be supported on the edge of or even within existing sejlements to extend the policy towards mainstream acceptance.
- One Planet Development planning assessments could be progressively applied to all new developments to encourage developers into line with the long term aims of the legislation.
- One Planet Development land management practice could be integrated with the voluntary agri-environment schemes now funded under Pillar II of the CAP and the Glastir Advanced scheme, which trials approaches to incentivise land management interventions that help reduce run-off with the aim of rolling out measures across Wales.
- With the help of One Planet Development, Welsh agriculture could offer more mixed farming, market gardening, woodland and other land-based, value added production and more jobs.
- We call for a government funded review of the transferability of One Planet Living practices.
You can download the briefing sheet here.